The main themes of the Estonian programme are set out in the Trio Presidency Programme of Estonia – Bulgaria – Austria. Based on the programme and work of the preceding presidencies, the new trio partners will continue tackling the issue of providing high-quality and relevant European statistics, taking into account already known and emerging challenges, such as new data sources/big data, new metrics/globalisation, new ways of communication but also shortage of personnel and financial resources. The Estonian Presidency will be committed to enhancing initiatives targeted at strengthening transparency and public trust in European statistics following the ESS Vision 2020 and the reflections on the ESS priorities beyond 2020.
The Estonian Presidency will build its agenda on the work and progress achieved by the Maltese Presidency and other preceding Presidencies.
The work at the Council and European Parliament level will be continued on the proposals for Regulations on:
- integrated farm statistics and repealing Regulations (EC) No 1166/2008 and (EU) No 1337/2011 (IFS);
- establishing a common framework for European statistics relating to persons and households, based on data at individual level collected from samples (IESS);
- amending Regulation (EC) No 1059/2003 as regards the territorial typologies (Tercet).
The Estonian Presidency will finalize any pending procedures on:
- amending Regulation (EU) No 99/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the European statistical programme 2013–17, by extending it to 2018–2020 (ESP);
Depending on the speed of advancing with the above-mentioned proposals, the Estonian Presidency will furthermore decide on the appropriate timing to start the work on:
- European business statistics amending Regulation (EC) No 184/2005 and repealing 10 legal acts in the field of business statistics (FRIBS).
- Harmonisation of gross national income at market prices repealing Council Regulation (EC, Euratom) No 1287/2003 of 15 July 2003 on the harmonisation of gross national income at market prices (GNI Regulation).
- Recast of Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on rail transport statistics
To achieve the above-mentioned goals, the Estonian Presidency will cooperate closely with the Member States, the Trio partners, the European Parliament and the Commission.